Tuesday, July 20, 2010

IB and student exchanges?

Is it possible to go a student exchange program (not offered by a school, bt a rebiable company) lasting one semester being an IB student. I mean like I'd like to go but if I go on an exchange program I will fall very much behind and I'm not even sure if IB rules allow you to do exchanges to other countries during the shcool year and still remain in IB. Another qustion would it be any different if on the student exchange you went to you attended an IB school also if it is possible how would it work. Thank you very much!

IB and student exchanges?
I can only answer this to an extent. You need to talk to your school's counselor/schedule coordinator, as they'll likely know more about it than most anyone you'll find here.





My knowledge from being in the IB program makes me think that you would remain in the program during an exchange. The program itself seems to be more coordinated by individual schools than by the founders themselves. To graduate from it, you only need to have the necessary IB credits. If you can manage this with an exchange program, I don't see why it would a problem. However, I know personally that taking a single sick day makes you nearly irrevocably behind.





So the bottom line is, you truly need to talk to a counselor if you're intending to continue looking into this. You'd have to do so somewhere along the line anyway.
Reply:As far as I know, you can do an exchange and still recieve IB credits IF the school you attend has IB courses (and you take/pass them, of course). If you can't find an IB school, then you'd probably have to finish your courses when you return (which might mean staying longer in school/taking summer school classes).


Hope this helped, :)


No comments:

Post a Comment