Friday, July 16, 2010

Private student loans?

Are private student loans an option for a student attending a community college? The reason I ask is because all the student loan websites I look at, my community college is not an eligible school. Why is this? I mean, are the lenders out there who will give me a loan?

Private student loans?
The decision of whether to participate in a particular loan program is at the discretion of each individual institution. Therefore, a school can choose not to participate in alternative student loan programs, therefore, they will not complete a request for school certification on an alternative student loan.





Because the Cost of Attendance at community colleges is so low, many community colleges choose not to participate in alternative loan programs. Some even choose not to participate in the Stafford loan programs! This is a decision that the school has the authority to make.





If you apply for a private loan that does not require school certification and where the funds are sent directly to you, then this would not be an issue. But keep in mind that most education loans require certification of enrollment and financial need.
Reply:Not all schools qualify. Find out if your community college is accredited. That numero uno! Not accredited? Go to another college. Experience talking here: community colleges are a waste unless you really can not afford anything else. Four year universities are best because the curriculum it continuous from year 1 to year 4. I lost 22 semester hours between my community college and university when I transferred. That's 1 year I spent basically spinning my wheels. Go to http://www.fastweb.com and fill out their FREE questionnaire. Those scholarships are awarded to certain colleges, then attend one of those.


No comments:

Post a Comment