Sunday, August 22, 2010

Must I have a degree in education to go into student affairs?

Ok, I feel really really stupid for asking this, but I am a college sophomore who is absolutely out of gen ed classes and HAS to pick a major now.. earlier this semester I thought about social work, then I thought about business and like marketing... but one of my friends mentioned she is graduating this semester and going to get her masters in student affairs. And I thought what a great job that would be for me. I'm active in the student activites board here at my school and would love to work with students of any age, but not so much from the teaching aspect. So, my question is.. to get a degree in student affairs, must I have a bachelors in education, or can you get a masters in student affairs with other degrees. Can you work with high schools with a student affairs masters degree or does that limit you to only titles such as student activities director/dean of students/etc etc?

Must I have a degree in education to go into student affairs?
Check with the college which you plan to go to to do this course. Or ask your friend. She has probably already done some reserch to find out if it's for her.





Student affairs may involve stuff like guidance counsellor or something like that. If I'm correct you may be able to major in student affairs while undertaking a degree in wither social work or youth work. If you want to work with HS students I'd suggest Youth Work
Reply:I have a master's in student affairs, but my bachelors was in psychology. In my program, only a few (out of 20+) had education degrees.





I'm not sure about working in high schools so you might just want to check on that. I know working as a guidance couselor, they want you to have a "counseling" degree. Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment