Sunday, August 22, 2010

What kind of rights does a student have in relation to rights of privacy?

A little podunk town in texas has a college called Angelina College that requires Nursing students to do extensive back ground checks, credit checks, etc. The college does not do these tests. They have a company that does extensive tests and can do with that information whatever they want to. The college will keep the information in your student records that are not secure and the school makes all the students sign a waver saying the student knows that the school is not responsible for anything that happens in the case of someone using that information against the student. So if someone uses my social security number or anything else, I can never hold the school responsible. Is there any way I can prevent them from getting all this information? I do not have anything in my background that I am ashamed of, but the fact that I am totaly being exploited and I have to pay for it pisses me off.

What kind of rights does a student have in relation to rights of privacy?
You always a choice. First and foremost, you can simply refuse the background check. If the school says you cannot attend without the background check, then you can choose another school.





Now if the school conducted an unauthorized background check without your knowledge, that's a different story. But here the school is admitting they do background checks, and you have a choice to say yes or no. Given that you do have a choice, I think it's a real stretch to say the school is "exploiting" you.

tooth extraction

No comments:

Post a Comment