Thursday, August 19, 2010

Student citizenship?

Serious answers only, no racial or prejudices comments please.





Well my parents brought me here to the US when i was about 4 years old. Now i wish they hadn't because i have so many problems, but then again it wasn't my choice was it. So now I am in my freshman year of highschool and i don't mean to brag but I am an excellent student with a 4.0 GPA, advanced classes, I join the track team, and I volunteer for community service every day. I really wan't to go to the University of washington but it is really expenive for me. my question is, am I considered an international student? Can i apply for scholarships without ss# or greencard? Is there anyway I can gain citizenship? and Can I at least apply for drivers license?

Student citizenship?
I can only speak from personal experience, I came her when I was 9 yrs old on a student visa. In a short time I got my SSN, but no green card even though my parents tryed there hardest to file through the church for me. So with out these documents I'm considered and illegal alien. I went to the cheapest school I could find a ,community college,where it only cost $99 a credit. And I got my degree in Radiological Technology, I had a 3.96 GPA, I was class President, on the Presidents List, And a member of many of the clubs on campus. But even though the tuition was cheap I had problems finding the money for it, so my teachers told me about a schlarship I could apply for that was offered in my field of study. That was the only scholarship I was ever rewarded. It's very difficult to gain these type of scholarships when your an illegal. This best you can do is start by finding a cheap community college, getting a degree in your subject of interest and working in that field until you saved up enough to continue your education. I've saved up and paid for my way through school, and now i'm working on my Masters as a Physicians Assistant.
Reply:Your story is sad, I can't deny that. However, I'm sure your parents spoke Spanish in the house, and you had ample opportunity to learn it well enough to be bi-lingual. You chose to reject that chance.





Your parents are to blame for your misery, not the people of the U.S. who helped to pay for your public education, your use of a library, police protection, and whatever else you've enjoyed while living in the U.S. that was taxpayer funded.





Congratulations on your accomplishments, excellent student, track team and volunteer work. As a person, you're a great guy.





But you're an illegal alien. I'll never be an Apache Indian, and you may never be legally present in the U.S. The longer you hang on to your life in the U.S., the worse the return to the only country where you're allowed to live will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment